Recover_mp4 is a powerful tool that can recover video and audio files damaged by interrupted recording. Use this tool to recover MP4, MOV, M4V, M4A, QT, 3GP and MXF files recorded on any camera, app, drone or mobile device.
UPDATED: 10 SEPTEMBER 2021
Please note: we have discontinued support for the downloadable version of recover_mp4. But now it is available as an online video recovery tool called Restore.Meida.
If you need to recover corrupted MP4, MOV, M4V, M4A, QT, 3GP or MXF files, just register a free account at Restore.Media and follow the instructions:Try Restore.Media
Note: we have discontinued support for the downloadable tool recover_mp4. However, its latest version (3.0) is used as the engine in a new online video recovery tool called Restore.Media. Why we recommend using Restore.Media instead of the legacy recover_mp4 tool:
1. Restore.Media has a simple and user-friendly interface. You no longer need to deal with the command line. A wizard-style web interface guides you through the recovery process. See this detailed guide on how to recover corrupted MP4 files using Restore.Media.
2. Support for different platforms. With the new tool, video files can be recovered from almost any device, including macOS, iOS, Android and Windows.
3. Now you can make a request to recover your video files manually. If you are not satisfied with the results of the automatic algorithms, you can ask one of Restore.Media's engineers to try to recover your video or audio files manually. This is especially useful if you accidentally deleted your video from the flash memory card. Restore.Media engineers will help you recover such video files.
4. No more need to use any additional tools like ffmpeg.
5. Added recovery algorithms optimized for dozens of new cameras, including: iPhone Filmic Pro, Samsung Gear 360, SONY cameras, GoPro Session, GoPro 9, GoPro MAX, DJI drones, LAMAX X8.1 Sirius, AIM SmartyCam HD, PittaSoft BlackVue DVR, Canon Legria, Vixia and many other.
6. Improved support for all GoPro cameras. The tool now recovers GoPro gyroscope metadata, which is especially useful if you want to edit your recordings using image stabilization software. Note: for a detailed guide on how to repair GoPro video files, read this article.
7. Added support for MXF files and Apple ProRes codec.
8. Added the ability to filter out low-resolution preview streams from the main video stream when recovering GoPro, Xiaomi YI and DJI video files that were accidentally deleted and then restored using third-party tools.
The latest version of the tool (Restore.Media) can recover MP4, MOV, M4V, M4A, QT, 3GP and MXF files.
Recover_mp4 can be used to repair video and audio files recorded by almost any camera. For the most popular cameras / devices, the tool uses optimized recovery algorithms that provide higher success rates. Some of these camera models include:Camcorders / DSLRs:
This problem can occur if you turn off the camera without first stopping the recording. Or, for example, if your camera's battery was completely discharged and the camera suddenly turned off while you were still filming. Other common cases include running out of SD card space, camera / drone crash, firmware failure, etc.
Accidentally deleted video files can only be recovered if you have not overwritten them with new data. This is why we advise you to lock your SD card as soon as you find that the files have been deleted.
We have discontinued support for the downloadable tool. But the engine of the latest version of recover_mp4 (v3.0) is used in the online tool – Restore.Media. If you need to recover MP4 files as well as other types of video and audio files, sign up for a free account at Restore.Media and then just follow the instructions.
The legacy version of recover_mp4 (v1.92) can still be downloaded from our article on how to recover corrupted MP4 files.